Friday, April 9, 2010
Event planners meet and great clients and vendors alike at trade show events
Vancouver, BC - April 9, 2010 - Event planners must never sit back and rest on their laurels - whether it's an event planning company just starting out or a seasoned professional event coordinator who's the city's "go-to" planner for all lavish affairs, it's important to stay on top of current trends and remain relevant in the world of event planning.
Trade Show Research
Throughout the year, there are a variety of trade shows held in Vancouver and across the country that are beneficial for event planners. Whether it's for marketing purposes or simply to do research on new vendors and services, trade shows are great for providing professional development opportunities like networking with potential new clients or vendors.
Becoming involved with local event associations ensures that event planners hear about upcoming trade shows - professional associations such as MPI (Meeting Professionals International) or ISES (International Special Events Society) are favourites of those in the event planning trade.
Once registered with a professional association, event planners should research relevant trade shows that offer opportunities for promoting a new company or serve a favourable educational experience. Some examples of popular event trade shows include:
- MPI World Education Congress
- A Congress that is held annually in July or August, with revolving locations within North America.
- ISES Eventworld
- An excellent event for networking and continuing education held each summer.
- Wedding Fair
- Held each year in Vancouver, a perfect opportunity to learn about new trends in weddings and chat with other vendors in the industry.
- Indie I Do
- Also held in Vancouver, this smaller trade show offers alternatives to the usual cookie-cutter wedding for those who are looking to integrate something a bit different into their big day.
Interested in an event planning career? Fill in the form to your left for info on CDI's Event Coordinator and Management program!