Things to do in Calgary North
There are several things to do in the North sections of Calgary.
Sports and Outdoor Activities
Sports fans tend to head to Calgary North to watch two of the city's pro sports teams. McMahon Stadium is the destination for football fans to watch the six-time Grey Cup champion Calgary Stampeders take on their CFL rivals Saskatchewan Roughriders, Edmonton Eskimos and the BC Lions. Baseball fans can catch the Calgary Vipers, the current league champs, go up against other Golden Baseball League teams at Foothills Stadium.
Along with Canada Olympic Park, the Olympic Oval is
one of the legacies from the 1988 Winter Olympic Games. Today, the Oval
is home to the Oval X-Treme, ice hockey team of the National Women's
Hockey League. Known as the fastest ice in the world, Calgary's Olympic
Oval hosts speed skating competitions and serves as a national training
facility for both speed skating and other athletics such as pole
vaulting, long jump, and sprinting. The Oval is also open to public
skating and other family events.
Calgary North also has several urban parks that are popular places
for picnics and outdoor activities such as walking, biking and
rollerblading. Nose Hill Park is one of the largest
municipal parks in Canada and the second largest in the city. The park
is a natural environment space that gives Calgarians a refuge from the
busy city life and offers stunning views of the downtown core.
Confederation Park is another popular destination in Calgary North.
Along with the bike paths, the park has a golf course, baseball diamonds, and tennis courts. In the winter, Confederation Park
is a great place to toboggan and cross-country ski. The park is also
home to the annual Lions Club Christmas Light Display from December to
Calgary North is also home to the Calgary Zoo. With
over 1,000 animals and exhibits about Africa, Australia, South America, and Canada, the zoo is one of the city's most popular destinations for
both residents and tourists alike.
Calgary North offers shoppers several opportunities to find what they're looking for. The Deerfoot Outlet Mall
in the northeast offers an impressive assortment of brand name shops
for those looking for anything from jewellery and clothing to appliances
and home furnishings. Both Market Mall and Sunridge Mall are the largest shopping centres in Calgary North. Both have over 150 shops each that will appeal to a broad range of shoppers.
Places to Volunteer in Calgary North
- Calgary Seniors' Resource Society
- Youthlink Calgary - The Calgary Police Interpretive Centre
- Pro Bono Law Alberta Society
- Calgary Youth Justice
- Calgary Crime Stoppers Association
- Canadian Mental Health Association - Calgary Region
- Opportunity Works Calgary Incorporated
- Mennonite Central Committee Alberta
- Neighbourlink of Calgary Northwest and Beltline Inc.
- Sunrise Community Link Resource Society
- Women's Centre of Calgary
- Women in Need Society of Calgary
- The Hera Society - Therapeutic Programming for Adolescent Girls at Risk
- The Elizabeth Fry Society of Calgary Alberta
- The Calgary Women's Emergency Shelter
- Calgary Immigrant Women Association
- Bridges Social Development