Things to do in Edmonton West
What’s a trip to West Edmonton without a visit to the West Edmonton Mall? With over 800 shopping stores and attractions, there’s something for everyone. Shop to your heart’s content. Take a ride on the Mindbender roller-coaster. Make a splash at the indoor waterpark or do a few laps on the NHL-sized indoor ice rink.
If you’re looking to shop and avoid the crowds at North America’s largest mall, there are several smaller shopping centres and complexes in the area. From toy stores to flower shops, you’ll find the region has a something for everyone.
Looking for a bite to eat? There are numerous restaurants and cafes in Edmonton West to hit up if you’re craving a burger, steak, or any other standard Canadian fare. The area also has several spots to grab some tasty ethnic eats ranging from Greek and Italian places to yummy Chinese and Thai restaurants. If you’re just looking for a place to hang out with some friends, you can choose from several pubs, lounges, or sports bars.
Those wanting to get outside for a bit of fresh air will find an abundance of parks in the region. In the Mayfield neighbourhood close to the Edmonton West campus, you’ll find Mayfield Park, Otto Leslie Park, Patrick J. Ryan Park, and Phoebe Mccullough Park. There are several parks in the surrounding neighbourhoods as well. If you’re looking for something a little more rural, head out to Lois Hole Centennial Provincial Park, home to 220 species of birds.
Places to Volunteer in Edmonton West
Every non-profit and community organization relies on volunteers to help them carry out their day-to-day mission. Volunteering is a great way to put your skills to use and help out a worthy cause. It can also be an essential part of your resume and even open up new doors for you as you network with the people you meet.
If you’re looking to volunteer in Edmonton, here’s a list of organizations you should consider contacting.
- Habitat for Humanity
- Candeo Housing Association
- St. Joseph’s Auxilary Hospital Foundation
- The Centre for Autism Services Alberta
- Alberta Cancer Foundation
- United Way of Alberta Capital Region
- The Good Samaritan Society
- The Mustard Seed
- Goofwill Industries of Alberta
- Youth Emergency Shelter Society of Edmonton
- Big Brothers and Big Sisters of Edmonton
- Spirit Keeper Youth Society
- Canadian Association of Disabled Skiing – Alberta
- Waskahegan Trail Association
- Federation of Alberta Naturalists
- Alberta Trailnet Society
- McMan Youth, Family and Community Services Association
- Bissell Centre
- Art Gallery of Alberta
- Wecan Food Basket Society of Alberta
- Society for the Friends of the Edmonton Public Library
- Humane Animal Rescue Team Society (HARTS)
- Livia Stoyke Charitable Foundation
- Westend Seniors Activity Centre
- St. Michael’s Extended Care Centre Society