Things to do in Edmonton North
Students at the CDI College campus in Edmonton North have so much to see and do in this region of the city.
Edmonton North also has several major shopping centres for those students who want to indulge in a little retail therapy after classes. The Edmonton North college campus is close to both North Town Centre and Northgate Centre. Both malls have a nice selection of stores and offer a pleasant shopping experience.
Those looking for greater variety have several other shopping destinations to choose from in Edmonton North. With over 200 shops, Kingsway Mall is the second largest shopping centre in the city. Londonderry Mall is another large shopping centre that has over 150 stores and services including major department stores and supermarkets.
The Edmonton Eskimos play at Commonwealth Stadium, a 60,000-plus seated open air arena. Located on the Joe Clarke Athletics Grounds, the stadium has hosted the CFL Grey Cup on three occasions. As a team, the Eskimos have won the Grey Cup 13 times.
Both Rexall Place and Commonwealth Stadium are also major concert arenas and have hosted concerts by several leading acts including the Rolling Stones, U2, Nickelback, David Bowie, Tim McGraw, AC/DC, and the Jonas Brothers.
The annual Capital EX is held at Northlands each July. The event formerly known as Edmonton Klondike Days includes chuckwagon races, carnival rides, concerts, and trade shows.
There are also a number of museums in Edmonton North that CDI College students can visit when they have some free time.
- The Telus World of Science will be a hit with the science-minded and amateur astronomers.
- The Alberta Railway Museum explores the importance of locomotives to the province's heritage and displays several railway cars from the Canadian National Railway and Northern Alberta Railway.
- Airplane aficionados can check out the Alberta Aviation Museum at the Edmonton City Centre Airport.
- Art lovers should head to Gallery Walk on 124 Street and Jasper Avenue to check out some of the city's independent galleries.
Places to Volunteer in Edmonton North
Looking for a place to volunteer in Edmonton? If you need to gain some experience or just want to give back to your community, the following list may help you decide where you'd like to volunteer.
- ABC Head Start Society
- Aboriginal Youth and Family Well-Being and Education Society
- Alberta Book Fair Society
- Alberta Cancer Foundation
- Alberta Caregivers Association
- Alberta Foodbank Network Association
- Big Brothers and Big Sisters Society of Edmonton and Area
- Canadian Mental Health Association - Edmonton Region
- Casa Child, Adolescent and Family Mental Health
- Centre for Family Literacy Society of Alberta
- Film and Video Arts Society of Alberta
- Glenrose Rehabilitation Hospital Foundation
- Habitat for Humanity - Edmonton Society
- Heritage Community Foundation
- HIV Network of Edmonton Society
- Humane Animal Rescue Team Society
- One Child's Village: A Global Orphans Foundation
- Primrose Place Family Centre Association
- Society for Safe and Caring Schools and Communities
- Sorrentino’s Compassion House
- Spirit Keeper Youth Society
- St Joseph's Auxiliary Hospital Foundation
- The Edmonton Folk Music Festival Society
- The Society of Beaux Esprits Playschool
- The Support Network - An Edmonton Society Responding to Personal and Community Needs
- The Works International Visual Arts Society
- United Way of Alberta, Capital Region
- Wecan Food Basket Society of Alberta
- Wildlife Rehabilitation Society of Edmonton
- Youth Emergency Shelter Society of Edmonton