Things to do in Calgary South
Those looking to spend some time in the southeast section of Calgary
will find a host of places to go and activities to do, ranging from
outdoor recreation and sports to shopping and entertainment.
International Avenue on 17th Avenue SE,
in the Forest Lawn neighbourhood, is a popular destination for those
looking for a range of ethnic restaurants or eclectic shopping
experiences. The region also hosts GlobalFest, a large multi-cultural event that combines the OneWorld Festival with the annual International Fireworks Festival at Elliston Park.
Nature lovers should visit Fish Creek Provincial Park, one of the biggest urban parks in North America. With 80 kilometers of paved and unpaved walking and cycling trails
to use, visitors can take in all the park has to offer, including
numerous picnicking and forest areas with a range of natural wildlife
such as deer, coyotes, owls, and beavers. Fish Creek Park is also home to
two very popular Calgary destinations: Bow Valley Ranch and Sikome Lake.
Hockey fans can catch an NHL game at the Saddledome or head on over to the Max Bell Centre in Radisson Heights for an Alberta Junior Hockey League match between the Calgary Canucks and their rivals.
Fans with a need for speed can head to Race City Motorsport Park, Calgary’s multi-track racing facility. Race City has a quarter-mile AHRA drag strip and an 11-turn road course.
Those looking for great shopping should visit Southcentre Mall, one of Calgary’s largest shopping centres. From the latest fashions to the hottest trends in home décor, shoppers will definitely find what they’re looking for in Southcentre’s 180 stores.
Places to Volunteer in Calgary South
If you think about it, volunteering is a win-win situation. You are
donating your time to a worthy cause who would be grateful to have you.
And, you’re gaining experience, which looks good on a resume.
There are numerous organizations in Calgary that rely on volunteers.
Here is a list of non-profit groups that may be looking for volunteers.
- Calgary Immigrant Educational Society
- Calgary Chamber of Voluntary Organizations
- Learning Disabilities Association of Alberta – Calgary Chapter
- Junior Achievement of Southern Alberta
- Dover Community Daycare and Day Home Society
- Alberta Mentor Foundation for Youth
- Alberta Youth in Care and Custody Network
- Discovery House Family Violence Prevention Society
- Calgary Women’s Emergency Shelter Association
- Centrepoint Non-Profit Management
- Fort Calgary Preservation Society
- Heritage Park Society
- Inn from the Cold Society
- Calgary Homeless Foundation
- Sunrise Community Link Resource Centre Society
- Calgary Drop-In and Rehab Centre Society
- The Mustard Seed
- The Canadian Mental Health Association – Calgary Region
- Opening Gaits Therapeutic Riding Society of Calgary